Sunday, November 8, 2009

How can the record companies get it so wrong?

I love music. I used to subscribe to eMusic, and I've actually written about it before here in this blog (but I'm too lazy to go find the post). I got hundreds of really good songs during my 1+ year with them, and discovered a few good bands I wouldn't have otherwise. I had to cancel my subscription though, when they, all of a sudden, started deciding all my favorite artists (from their catalog) should be US-only. Now, the bands that actually made eMusic worthwhile (Spoon, The White Stripes, The Clientele, etc.) were out of my reach, and they were adding a ton of more "mainstream" stuff that I would love to download (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, etc.), but couldn't. So, even though for a series of reasons I was actually willing to pay for that music, they literally wouldn't let me. Torrents, their "worst enemy" have no country boundaries, though.
Fast forward a few months to this week. I read about "She and Him", a duo that looks really interesting, and I'm trying to find out more about them. I find their pretty nice website and MySpace page, listen to some of their stuff and decide I'm interested. I then notice there's a link to their record company's site, where they sell FLACs, mp3s, CDs and Vinyls. Since I imagine shipping their vinyl to Brasil isn't the sanest of ideas, I go for the mp3s of their first album: $8.99. Just as a sanity check, I go to iTunes and Amazon to see the prices: they cost $9.99 on iTunes and Amazon, so I naturally say "let's buy it from the source, and cut the middle man". So I create an account at the Merge Records website and start the process, only to then realize that they won't sell me the damn mp3s because I'm outside the freakin' USA. What the hell is the matter with these guys?!?! This is not a huge band with a 20-year-old contract signed in the '80s that they still have to honor. This is a tiny "independent" band that released their first album only last year, so I can only assume their contract is fresh. With an supposed-to-be-modern record company, so why the hell can't they get this right?? Do they really expect me to say "Oh, this isn't available for me yet. I'll wait to buy from these nice people in a few months when they decide to let me give them my money"?? What is so hard about understanding that the only thing not letting me buy the mp3s accomplishes is pushing me towards getting them from some other source?? Are they just plain stupid?!

6 comments:

davi said...

It wouldn't be too unreasonable if you had the choice of buying the mp3s on Amazon or iTunes, but Amazon is also US-only and iTunes is not available in all countries either...

At least you can still buy a CD if you really want it (actually I really liked the band and I'm considering buying it -- thanks!), but many albums nowadays are digital-only releases, and if there's no distributor for the artist in your country you're completely out of luck. Wasn't the internet supposed to remove regional barriers?

Unknown said...

Yeah, they just don't seem to get what the internet buys them... short-sightedness...

Unknown said...

Oh, yeah, and it is a nice album, isn't it!?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.