Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Clientele [Band]

I've discovered quite a few interesting things since I subscribed to eMusic. One of the best things I discovered there, even though admittedly I should've known about it already, was The White Stripes. I guess the other band I've gotten more fond of is The Clientele, which, btw, I don't think I have to apologize for not knowing about before: even the more reason to write about them. They make these sort of dreamy pop songs, really interesting, really distinctively sounding. The first album I got from them was Strange Geometry, released in 2005 (but I only downloaded it a couple of months ago). It's an amazing album, really melancholic, every song dealing with some kind of failed relationship. I'd say my favorite is the album opener, "Since K Got Over Me".

I don't think I'll be happy anymore
I guess I closed that door
But every night a strange geometry
Since K got over me

There's a nice video of them playing this on YouTube, I embedded it on the end of the post; it doesn't sound all that good, but I guess you can get the idea. Maybe it's best to visit their page on Last.fm (here) and listen to bits of their songs. This is a very evenly balanced album, you won't feel like skipping any of the songs, they sort of blend in together, and the whole thing sounds like analyzing all the failed relationships and unattainable loves you've had (or not) throughout your life... only it all feels like a dream... like floating around all these memories... OK, maybe I overdid it a bit, that's how it feels to me, you probably won't get the same feel for it... but it's a record worth listening to, definitely... who knows how it'll make you feel?
After a few weeks, I got their new album: God Save The Clientele, and as much expectation as I had built up from Strange Geometry, I didn't get disappointed. Where Strange Geometry is melancholic, even sort of "rural", I reckon God Save The Clientele is sunnier, which for some people apparently ruined it. Well, for me, it didn't. It's still dreamy, but it's a little like dreaming of sunnier, happier memories... at least that's what it sounds like, I must admit I haven't yet payed much attention to the lyrics (they're kinda hard to find online)... It's a great album, and specially interesting for me is the fact that they didn't repeat themselves that much. I mean, you still only need a couple of chords to tell this album is from the same guys that made Strange Geometry, but it's not the same, it doesn't sound old, they shifted their focus a bit, and the result is very interesting and very fresh.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.