Thursday, July 19, 2007

Music in Brasil

One thing I thought was somewhat weird was how, in Europe, people didn't seem to know much about Brazilian music. Even classic stuff like Tom Jobim seemed to be unknown to most. And the other interesting thing is how us Brazilians don't know much about our own contemporary music. Since most of the stuff that actually gets any attention from the media is worthless shit, it gets kinda hard to find the good stuff, and we're kinda stuck with listening to Chico Buarque forever... I'll try and post, from time to time, on some of the amazing music being made nowadays here in Brasil and, with the help of YouTube, I think I'll be able to find some really nice material. Let's start with YamandĂș Costa.
YamandĂș is one of the most amazing (acoustic) guitar players I've ever heard/seen in life, and certainly the best I've seen live. It's not only about the speed, even though he is the speediest sun-of-bitch I've seen not using a pick to play. He's got taste. The first time I heard him playing I thought: it's so amazingly impressive, but it doesn't sound like he's showing off, you know? Not like it does with many virtuosos... it just sounds good, it's amazing... and it's just mind-blowing!!
He plays all kinds of stuff, but I guess I like it the most when he plays "chorinho", which is a typically Brazilian rhythm... let's see what YouTube has to offer...




This is he playing a chorinho by Ernesto Nazareth.



This is he playing in some documentary...



That's from his DVD, he's playing a very popular tune from the '60s, called "Disparada". Of course it's his particular version of the song, though... :-)




He and Hamilton de Holanda play a very brazilian version of a tune by Astor Piazzolla...



He and Armandinho (an amazing (electric) guitar player from Bahia!) play a beautiful chorinho...



A chorinho by Baden Powell (one of the greatest brazilian guitarists of all time, certainly gonna be mentioned in the future).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...I am one of those stuck with Chico Buarque, Caetano Veloso and Jobim...so maybe if you "schooled" us, non-Brazilians ready willing and able to learn we would be able to move onto new stuff...what I'm saying is basically that I am still waiting for that CD you promised to send me a year and a half ago...
Karola.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm actually learning myself... I'd say half of the brazilian stuff I hear is by Chico, Tom, Caetano, etc... but there's good new stuff too... and, yeah, I admit.... I forgot about the CD... sorry 'bout that...

Anonymous said...

It's ok...I can live with that...but you know, it's never too late to make it up to your dearest Chilean friend!!
Take care and be...you.
xx