Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why do I hate (auto)biographies? And the one I didn't hate...

OK, so I've tried reading biographies: actually, the whole concept of a biography seems appealing, you admire someone and want to read about their life, how they got to be who they are. But, for some reason, I really don't like reading biographies. I've tried (auto)biographies of great people that I admire, Gandhi, Che Guevara... of important, relevant people such as Winston Churchill, or just of great writers such as José Saramago and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I haven't actually got to finish any of those: and I don't usually start a book and leave it before finishing... so, why don't I like them?? And why do I love this one in particular: Ecce Homo, by Nietzche.

I guess I don't like biographies because they usually go into so much detail about the dullest things... what do I care if Che Guevara had a flu when he was 11? I guess it's really hard for the writers to really set apart what's interesting to a ley person from what's only relevant to scholars and such... or maybe I just haven't found anyone famous that I was that much interested about... so I probably hate biographies because I can't get past the first few chapters of any of them... it's so damn dull!!! Where they were born, their uninteresting family problems, schools, bla, bla, bla... One of these days I'll just try starting from chapter 8 or something and see where it goes from there...


OK, the post is too long already, guess I'll talk about Nietzsche some other time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My recommendation:

Heavier than Heaven - The biography of Kurt Cobain.

Unknown said...

Sound like a good idea... his life was too short and too messed up... there's probably not many boring moments there... :-)