Friday, September 14, 2007

Marvel Movies


OK, so yesterday I wanted to watch a movie and have some pizza, so I went to the video store. The thing is I stumped my foot really bad, and walking around the video store forever (as I usually do) really hurt. So after a few minutes of not finding anything good I hadn't seen yet, I saw The Ghost Rider... I know, I said something good, right?? But, let's face it: I'd have to watch it eventually anyways, so I just thought "what the hell, I'll take it!" I had very low expectations for this movie (as would any sane person), but even then it was bad. It's an ugly movie, the effects kinda suck, the action scenes look like cartoon (which is sort of what they are), and it is stupid as hell. I mean, I won't even go over the shred of a script that it has, it's just not worth the trouble... but I gotta mention one quote, so you know just how stupid it is... at one point of the movie, Johnny Blaze (who sold hist soul to the Devil and thus got the whole plot of the movie going by being turned into the Ghost Rider) says: "He may have my soul, but he doesn't have my spirit." Come on!!! That's just embarrassing...
So, even though I wanted to blog on this stupid, stupid movie, I didn't think it deserved a whole post of its own. So I decided to do a quick and dirty retrospective of Marvel Comics-based movies which became really huge business in the last few years... OK, even though movies and cartoons based on Marvel characters have been made before, only in 1998 did things begin to get serious with Blade. I mean, I don't even think they themselves took stuff like Nick Fury or Captain America seriously... but Blade rocks, and it showed everybody that the house of X-Men, Hulk and Spider-Man could maybe compete head to head with the house of Superman and Batman (which was going through a really rough period in the '90s too, with the whole Batman & Robin fiasco...) Well, a couple of years after Blade, in 2000, we got to watch X-Men, and, well, the rest is history... two more X-Men, two more Blade, three Spider-Man, two Fantastic Four, Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra and this Ghost Rider thing afterwords, Marvel Comics actually got enough money to start its own studio and, from now on, is gonna make movies about their characters by itself (well, at least the characters that aren't already sold to other studios as most of the aforementioned). So, if they steer away from fiascos like Ghost Rider, Marvel is bound to become a pretty strong force in the movie-making business, with as of yet unexploited characters such as Iron Man, Hulk (let's face it Ang Lee, your Hulk sucks), Captain America, Avengers, Dr. Strange, and many many more...
So, to end this (already pretty big) post, my rank of Marvel movies so far:
  1. Spider-Man 2
  2. Spider-Man and X-Men 3
  3. X-Men 2
  4. X-Men
  5. Blade (1, 2 and 3)
  6. Spider-Man 3
  7. Fantastic Four
  8. Daredevil
  9. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
  10. Hulk
  11. Elektra, The Ghost Rider
And I'd say my threshold is Daredevil: anything below that isn't worth the price of admission.

No comments: