Friday, July 18, 2008

Dark Knight

Walking back home from the movies tonight I must've thought of a few dozen ways to start this post. I've settled with stating that this movie will blow our mind away. It's really late and I'm lazy, so I'll probably not write as much as the movie deserves, but I'll say this: I probably watched both the best movie of the year and the best comic book-based movie ever made. It's that good. It's long, it's unbelievably tense, it's smart, it's disturbing, it's genius. Batman Begins was incredible, but Dark Knight is so much more! Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan are their usual, incredibly talented selves, as in the previous movie. Good ol' Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman are still there. But now there's so much more to it...
I'm sure you've heard this before, but Heath Ledger is simply uncanny, he just got the Joker. And I think "getting" goes a long way in describing this movie: the writer got the characters. The story in itself doesn't come straight from any one book that I know. But, somehow, he just got the characters: he was able to distill all the decades of Batman, Joker and Harvey Dent in an amazing, brilliant, two and a half hour long story. I'm in awe, and I definitely will watch it again, this time in IMAX, before I fly back to Brasil. Summer has been good to us so far, making up for last year: Indy, Iron Man, Hulk, Wanted, Sarah Marshall, Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E. But we got a clear winner: just go watch it and then tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Easily the best movie this summer. I couldn't help but smile during the movie: the script is well written, direction and acting is superb, and Heath Ledger provided us with a Joker to be remembered. I agree with you with the "getting" thing, and it worked so well that I'm still feeling enthusiastic for having seen such a good movie. Batman is one of my favourite comics characters and after some lousy attempts (besides Batman Begins), justice has been done. Christian Bale is the Batman I pictured while reading the comic books; Heath Ledger is even scarier than the Joker I used to imagine.

Best comics-based movies so far: The Dark Knight and V for Vendetta. And I'm really excited about Watchmen, probably more than I should be...


--
Augusto