Sunday, January 6, 2008

Belo Horizonte

OK, I've been neglecting this blog for quite a few weeks now... bad, bad, bad! Some updates are in order. First of all, I'm happy to announce I'm already in Belo Horizonte, my new home for the foreseeable future. I'm living in a flat/hotel right now, and desperately looking for an apartment. The hotel is nice enough, unbelievably close to my job, like less than 5 minutes away. The job is amazing: the environment, the people, the perks, everything is great. And, well, the job in itself is really cool too, even though it'll still take me a few weeks to get up to speed and actually do anything useful at all. Until then, it's basically reading, watching lectures and doing exercises. But I'm completely loving it!!!!
Now, going a little back in time, the last couple of weeks of the year were really nice back home in Salvador; a lot partying, family and old friends. It was a nice little break before starting off here in BH. I made a big mistake though: I should've gone back to Campinas for my car before coming to BH; now looking for apartments is a real pain in the ass. I'll probably end up renting a car to do it. I need to find an apartment, pronto!!!! The thing is, my job is in a pretty expensive neighborhood. If I wanna walk to work I'll either have to take a tiny, one-room apartment or spend the best part of my salary on rent. The alternative is to live 10- to 15-minute drive away and pay less than that for a pretty cool, cozy apartment. I guess that, as much as I wanted the convenience of walking to work, I want a nica home even more, so I'll be looking for apartments mostly on other neighborhoods (therefore the car is so much more important!!!).
Unfortunately I haven't really taken any pictures yet, but I will soon. I'm really enjoying the whole experience, and January is gonna be a hectic month since I'll go to Salvador twice and to Campinas once... oh, yeah, and I have to finish my master thesis.... oh, yeah!!!, and I have to get up to speed with all the stuff I gotta learn before I can actually do any useful work... wow!!!!
Wish me good luck... ;-)

2 comments:

Betha said...

HI,

I’m in the same situation in São Paulo, well, quite the same. I’m taking bus every day and it is really hard to weak up too early in the morning, and I can’t sleep at the bus, I don’t know why. But the job is fantastic!!! For the first time I’m making real things, real games.
Good luck for you and I want that coffee, please =)
Miss you

Unknown said...

Oh, you're gonna have to come and get that coffee!!!! ;-)
Hope you find that apartment soon and hope I do too!!! It's a real drag looking for it and living at the hotel sucks (as must going to São Paulo everyday!)... good luck for the both of us!!